Drawn from a cache of personal video recordings spanning 22 years, the film chronicles a critically-acclaimed artist’s journey from refugee to pop star. As the daughter of the founder of Sri Lanka’s armed Tamil resistance, Matangi Arulpragasam had to hide from the government during a bloody civil war. When her family fled to the UK, she became a precocious and creative immigrant teen. Finally, she emerged on the global stage as M.I.A., having created a mashup, cut-and-paste identity that pulled from every corner of her journey along the way; a sonic sketchbook that blended Tamil politics, art-school punk, hip-hop beats and the unwavering, ultra-confident voice of a burgeoning multicultural youth.
Tickets: 650 HUF
We provide free viewing for high school classes via promo codes. Promo codes are available in limited numbers, teachers can request them for their classes at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The film is available from 8 pm March 26, only for streaming within Hungary. A limited number of tickets are available. When fewer than 100 tickets are left, we will notify viewers via our Facebook page.
How to watch:
- Click on the button "watch online" or go directly to festival.verzio.org.
- Sign into or create your own account.
- Choose the film and click "Rent".
- The film will be available in your library, for 7 days, after you have rented it.
- After pressing "Play", you will have 48 hours to watch or re-watch the film.